Wellness Care: Preventive Pet Exams
Regular wellness care and exams keep your pet healthier and happier for more years together. We provide full pet exams, nutritional and behavioral advice, and diagnostic testing if needed during wellness care. At Maurice Veterinary Clinic, we strongly urge our guests to bring their pets in at least yearly for preventative services. Similar to how you'll help extend your pet's life, wellness care helps you save money by catching illness before it has a chance to further develop.
What are Preventive Services?
The same as we need periodic health checks, so do our pets. Actually, since pets have shorter life-spans, regular health checks may be even more important. As an integral preventive service, all pets should stay up-to-date on vaccinations. Many highly contagious animal diseases have been contained through the use of responsible pet vaccinations. While re-administering vaccines are an important aspect of wellness care, so is establishing a baseline of your pet's health. A baseline is especially relevant to wellness care because it helps us note any subtle changes in your pet, but it's only as effective as how often you bring your cat or dog in. Therefore, we strongly urge annual exams for adult pets and biannual exams for senior pets.
Preventive services include:
- Pets who go outside can easily pick up intestinal parasites from other animals. Therefore, we screen for parasites, such as hookworm, roundworm, or whipworm.
- Most of all, puppies and kittens need to be dewormed. They are often the most susceptible to intestinal parasites.
- Similarly, puppies and kittens are susceptible to contagious viruses and diseases. So, they need to receive vaccinations and boosters to follow.
- Adult pets need vaccination updates and checks on their overall health. Gum disease is very common after three years old, and we always "flip the lip" to examine pets' oral health.
- Due to senior pet's tendency to develop health issues rapidly, we recommend biannual checkups. This gives us a chance to run complete testing to check for underlying issues.
Schedule your pet's wellness visit today! We look forward to learning about both you and your pet. See you soon!